Back to articles
“Get to, know your firearm; become thoroughly aware of the way it works and how to look after it properly.”
National Firearms Safety Code
- 1- Treat every firearm as being loaded.
- 2- Your firearms are your responsibility.
- 3- Always ensure your firing zone is clear and identify your target beyond all doubt.
- 4- Never point a firearm at or near another person.
- 5- Never load a firearm until you are ready to shoot.
- 6- Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
- 7- When you have finished shooting remove the magazine (if fitted), unload and then check that the chamber is empty.
- 8- Make sure that all firearms are transported securely to prevent misuse or theft.
- 9- Never allow unauthorised access to your firearms or ammunition.
- 10- Do not climb fences or obstacles with loaded firearms.
- 11- Encourage safe and responsible handling of firearms in the field, on the range and within the community.
- 12- Never mix shooting with alcohol or drugs.
- 13- Understand the operation of your firearm, keep it in good repair, and always use the correct ammunition.
- 14- Never store firearms and ammunition together. Ensure they are safely locked away when not in use.
- 15- Be familiar with the legal requirements for safe storage, firearms ownership, possession and use in your state or territory, or in the state or territory you are visiting.
- 16- Dispose of unwanted firearms lawfully. Surrender them to the police or sell them to or through a licensed dealer.
Observe this code ~ insist others do the same.
Article Kindly provided by SSAA.