August 15, 2018
“Get to, know your firearm; become thoroughly aware of the way it works and how to look after it properly.”
National Firearms Safety Code
- Treat every firearm as being loaded.
- Your firearms are your responsibility.
- Always ensure your firing zone is clear and identify your target beyond all doubt.
- Never point a firearm at or near another person.
- Never load a firearm until you are ready to shoot.
- Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
- When you have finished shooting remove the magazine (if fitted), unload and then check that the chamber is empty.
- Make sure that all firearms are transported securely to prevent misuse or theft.
- Never allow unauthorised access to your firearms or ammunition.
- Do not climb fences or obstacles with loaded firearms.
- Encourage safe and responsible handling of firearms in the field, on the range and within the community.
- Never mix shooting with alcohol or drugs.
- Understand the operation of your firearm, keep it in good repair, and always use the correct ammunition.
- Never store firearms and ammunition together. Ensure they are safely locked away when not in use.
- Be familiar with the legal requirements for safe storage, firearms ownership, possession and use in your state or territory, or in the state or territory you are visiting.
- Dispose of unwanted firearms lawfully. Surrender them to the police or sell them to or through a licensed dealer.
Observe this code ~ insist others do the same.
Article Kindly provided by SSAA.