Before You Dig Australia (BYDA), formerly Dial Before you Dig (DBYD), is a not-for-profit organisation. For almost 40 years, BYDA has protected Australians and underground infrastructure from harm and damage and continues to provide the free referral service that plays an essential part in a farmer’s safe work practices.
What should you do before you dig?
Safety is fundamental to any digging or excavation project on your property, including digging, fencing, planting, constructing a dam or shed, or even burying livestock. Therefore, using the Before You Dig service should always be your first point of contact before starting work. When you lodge an enquiry, you gain access to plans and information directly from utilities such as gas, electricity, water and telecommunications straight to your email inbox.
Not sure how to access the service?
The free service is accessible via the BYDA website (www.byda.com.au) or through the iPhone and Android apps. To lodge an enquiry, you must sign up for a free account. First, log in and search for your dig site using the map. Then, draw your proposed project site using the mapping tools provided, and provide project details, including location, start and end dates and type of work.
What happens next?
Once you submit the enquiry, you can review a list of affected utilities, their contact details and expected wait times to receive plans and information. Plans are indicative only and should be used as a guide. If you require further information or assistance or have not received plans, please contact the asset owner directly using the contact details supplied on the enquiry confirmation sheet. Ensure you DO NOT proceed until you have received the relevant information from all affected asset owners.
- Safe excavation is not just about getting the plans – you should also ensure you work safely once onsite
- Be mindful that plans do not show the entire domestic connection
- Look for clues near underground infrastructure. These may include water meters, inspection points and warning signs
- Use a Certified Locator to help determine the location of assets
- Take note of any required permits
- Be aware of any exclusion zones around assets
- Always follow the 5Ps of safe excavation!
For more information, please visit the BYDA website www.byda.com.au
Article kindly provided by Before You Dig.